Whales, and koalas, and platypus, oh my!

In August 2005, I'll finally take my dream trip to Australia. This blog will focus on the planning, taking, and recovering from this trip. A few related side notes are likely as the trip is not until August and who knows what will happen.

Name:
Location: San Jose, California, United States

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Paradise Lost

I leave today for Cairns. While I'm excited about getting to that part of the reef and warmer water, it's hard to leave this place. It's somewhere between a summer camp and a Rock Resort and the people are incredible, both staff and guests.

Yesterday, I did two snorkels. The morning snorkel was from the beach and was the best I've had yet. The depth was just right, the fish were plentiful and varied and the clarity was great. I even got some good pics. The afternoon was from the boat. It was an incredibly low tide which made the clarity less than optimal. The highlights were seeing dolphins on the way out and some huge angel fish. I thought I heard some whistles and clicks, but convinced myself that I was imagining things. When I got back on the boat, they said the dolphins had been really near me. If only...

Right after the afternoon trip I had
a massage. It was the most relaxing massage I've ever had. Not terribly therapeutic physically, but left my mind completely blank.

Dinner was an incredible feast. They called it a seafood buffet, but it was much more than that. On the seafood side, there were coral trout, salmon, crab, yabbies (crayfish), Moreton Bay bugs (somewhere between a crayfish and a slipper lobster), shrimp, and octopus. Then there were pork, lamb, and beef roasts with sides of potatoes, noodles, and veggies. Next, it was the fruit and cheese table. Australian cheeses are very good. I haven't had one yet I didn't like. Finally, there were several dessert options including Pavlova and chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup. By the time I left, I was waddling.

All that's left to do before I leave is check out. Laundry got done last night and I'm all set for my days in Cairns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home